Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Response to Acconci's "10-Point Plan for Video"

I thought Acconci brought up some very interesting points about creating and viewing video. The text is hard to read at first but after going over it a couple times you can really start to understand what he is talking about. The part that struck me the most is when he is describing how the person in the video is like a fish in a fish bowl and the viewers are just watching separately outside. He states how the viewer isn't "with" him, but he doesn't explain if that is a good thing or not. In my opinion, I think the real challenge with video is trying to get the viewer to understand or be "with" you, instead of viewing the video as they would with TV where it is something that is happening far away from you and you don't have to bring your own experiences into the imagery. I think breaking that "glass" as he calls it is important and can leave the viewer with something to think about and experience as the artist does. Another interesting point, that I would like to really experiment within my own work, is the idea that when the viewer is unable to see anything on a monitor, where images are expected to appear, the viewer must rely much more on the sound. If the imagery is very vague or dark the sound is what tells the story, which I believe is almost more imaginative and does break that barrier between the artist, the glass, and the viewer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment