Monday, November 5, 2012

Response to Agnes Varda and Chris Marke

I was confused on whether Varda believes that cinema and photography do work off of each other and work together in a way. I believe that they do. In history it is obvious that cinema came to be after photography, but aside from that I feel that early films had influence from photography. The first works that come to my mind are Warhol's screen tests. In a way kind of like a camera obscura he used moving film to capture a live still portrait of a person. There is also the use of films made solely from photographic images using visual effects (dissolves and zooms) along with a narration. This is something Marke discusses in his first experimentation with moving images. I think it is interesting how he explains his pure excitement with what he had created and how he "couldn't even imagine having anything in common with the process of filmmaking." This is an interesting thought and I really like the idea of just jumping into it and trying something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment